Greene Memorial United Methodist Church, located in downtown Roanoke, Virginia, seeks a Christian Director of Music and the Arts to lead and direct the planning, preparation and execution of music in a variety of worship settings, both traditional and contemporary. Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- work with the pastor, worship committee and volunteers to organize and deliver weekly worship services;
- develop, lead, and train new groups, ensembles and choirs for all ages;
- empower, encourage and inspire congregational involvement in worship;
- lead music during two worship services, using organ/piano and directing the adult choir.
This person should have a solid musical background and expertise with a bachelor’s degree in Music and a minimum of five years of experience in a church setting. A willingness and enthusiasm for working with all ages and the interpersonal and communication skills that accompany this is a must. Knowledge regarding sound systems and technology for worship (audio, video, recording, lighting, visual aids, etc.) is required. Inquiries and resumes may be submitted at: email@example.com.
Desired Qualities and Expectations
To lead and direct the planning, preparation and execution of music and the Arts in worship.
- Empower, encourage, and inspire Lay involvement in the worship of God through music and the arts.
- Oversee and resource the music and arts in all services at the church providing organ, piano, choral and other musical experiences. Services to include 9am blended/contemporary, 11am traditional, special services such as Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, weddings and funerals. Other services as needed or created.
- Work with the Pastor and Worship Committee to organize weekly services, set, and implement annual goals.
- Oversee the use and care of sanctuary equipment, ie: Audio, video, recording, lighting, visual aids, etc.
- Develop, recruit, equip, motivate, supervise and shepherd musical teams and ensembles of all ages for services.
- See to the proper ongoing care of all musical instruments.
- Oversee and manage music library, inventory, copyrights, and music budget.
- Attend weekly staff meetings and monthly worship meetings.
- Demonstrated skills in leading worship through conducting with organ/piano, both for choral and congregational singing.
- Openness to a wide variety of musical styles with knowledge of a broad repertoire of choral music-both traditional and contemporary.
- Proven leadership ability with a desire to grow and develop enthusiasm for new programs.
- Dependable, responsible, self-motivated and creative.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Music with five or more years of experience in a church setting.
- Considered to demonstrate a mature Christian faith.
- Desire to be part of a Christian community whose vision is committed to attracting and engaging a generationally and socially diverse demographic in a growing relationship with God as disciples of Jesus Christ.
- The Director of Music and Arts is accountable to the minister.
- Job description and requirements are determined by the Staff Parish Relations Committee and supported by PAC.
- The Worship Committee meets monthly to support and provide feedback on the worship experience.
This is a full time position with a salary commensurate with experience, education and the salaries for similar positions in other churches in the area.